Monday, December 03, 2007

Well I don't want to talk about snow, so I will close my eyes and imagine that I am in Caissie Cape, or Bouctouche Bay digging for clams and quahawgs.
When I was little ,I remember going clam digging with my parents, we each had a pail and a shovel and we would look for a tiny hole the size of a raindrop or smaller, and then we would dig around the hole not too close, as not the break the clam shells. What I did not like, was sometimes what we dug up was not a clam but a worm, yuck. We filled our pails, and headed home to steam our clams. Boy they were tasty we would soak them in a brine made with butter and clam juice. And I also remember walking barefoot along the water waist high, and feeling for quahawgs. They are like a big clam, but they have a hard shell and taste totally different. I had never eaten them, until my late husband got me into eating them. You can eat them raw, or cooked, I preferred them raw. Now Oysters is something again that is different, it grows on rocks, and they are very hard to open, they have a sweeter taste.I enjoy them also.
Now think back to the time of our ancestors, they came over to a new land, and they had to survive, many ate these shell fish and lobsters, back them fish and shellfish were plentiful. So they ate quite well. They fished for Cod and Trout, and Herring, and whatever fish they could get, even eels, but I do not like eel. Someone once chased me with a squirmy eel, and let me tell you I ran as fast as the wind,if not faster. smile.
Well now wasn't this story better than the cold and the wind and the snow, that is on its way towards me? Yes it is as far as I am concerned. haha.
Now the cajuns ancestors were acadians who had to leave their homes and families, they too had to learn to survive in the bayous, so they found different shellfish and fish to eat. I had never heard of crawfish, until i got interested in the cajun music and cajun folks, and I got interested because some were cousins , maybe sisters or brothers to some of my own ancestors. But many did survive, and they were determined to do so.
The photo above was from the book I recently bought Images de L'Acadie.
Now I am hungry, would sure eat a nice juicy lobster right now. smile. I hope you enjoyed digging for shellfish with me. Thanks for the visit, Do come again
Have a great day
Aline

No comments: