Saturday, January 24, 2009



Can you imagine your son or daughter wearing clothes similar to the clothes in my photo? This couple are my great grandparents, and everytime I look at it, it reminds me of granny Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies. grin. She ( my great grandmother) died in 1929 and he died in 1933 so this photo had to have been taken in the early 1900. I wanted to show you a photo with the clothing our ancestors wore in those days. Imagine working with these clothes? His clothes looks like he is dressed for Sunday Mass, perhaps hers was too.

Nevertheless, her dress must have been warm, this looks like the early part of the summer. Can you imagine working in the garden with a long dress? Or going picking berries, seems to me, the thorns and bushes would catch in the material. And notice the apron, it is quite long ,it covers nearly all of her dress. That was the style back then. I remember one of their sons, he used to wear woollen pants held up with suspenders and I was reading an article about Acadian clothing and it mentioned suspenders ,some were colored and some showed lines in them, to make them strong they were made wide and back then they were fastened with buttons. They were never out of style, the stores still sell them today. She must have been wearing a petitcoat under her dress to make it stick out like that. Anyway I can tell you, there wasn't much showing, long sleeves, high neck, no legs showing. I bet you the flies and mosquitos got discouraged trying to bite her. grin. Some of my members and I have been discussing the CMA2009, and if any of you do go, I would recommend to go to the Acadian Village in Tracadie, I went and it takes you right back to the days of our ancestors, well to a period back then anyway. The staff are all dressed in costumes with the long dresses for the ladies, and the men also dressed in Acadian costumes too.For more photos of what our ancestors might have worn ,look at old photos of your ancestors and notice their clothing, look at some of them in my photo gallery and again you will see their styles.Well thank you for the lovely visit, and do stop by again. Have a great day Aline.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aline, how well I remember my grandparents wearing these same type of clothing. My grandmothers always wore aprons worn over their dresses.
It was only years later that my mother started to wear slacks and rarely would wear a dress unless it was for church or for special occasions. I remember in old pictures of boys wearing dresses when they were small. They did not have a lot and money went to feed their families, not to be spent on clothing, only out of what they needed. Most did their own sewing, my grandmother sewed her aprons, dresses for many years, some even made bloomers out of whatever fabric they could get their hands on. They also knitted a lot, nice warm mittens and head covers, none of the store stuff like today. In comparison we are rich compared to their live styles. They were strong people so we came from good stock. Each generation tried to better themselves, never gave up the fight so to speak. We have ever right to be proud of our heritage.
E

alineskee said...

Yes E. I remember my grandmother even my Mom wearing aprons ,and as for bloomers Mom told me her mother used to use old flour bags white cotton and make their bloomers sometimes the name of the flour company would be printed on the bag and Mom said if she would bend over you could see *****flour. haha.

Anonymous said...

Aline, I can't imagine wearing bloomers and they had to be uncomfortable. I remember those bags, flour came in them, the fabric was so heavy. I remember my mother making pillowcases out of them after washing and bleaching them out. They had to be rinso white and Mom would not hang anything out unless her wash was sprarkling white. The neighbors might talk. lol The floors has to be washed with a brush and on your knees, no matter how cold the floor was, I remember that was one of my chores when I was around twelve. We all had our chores to do, help look after a new sibling in the house, learn how to cook. We grew up before our time it seems. Now my daughter and grand daughters, could never keep up with this like we did. We did it without complaining- it was a disgrace to be dirty but not to be poor. I remember us using oil lamps, before the electricity came out in our area. Listening to the radio, music of Don Messer, from the Island. My Uncle, played on one of his shows, we were so excited all gathering on Saturday night listening to the program. He was a good accordian player, now my nephew has the accordian and he plays well. Oh, the memories, I could go on but this is enough for this time. Thank you for listening.
E

alineskee said...

OH yes I remember my Mom scrubbing her floors on her hands and knees, and waxing them with paste wax, let me tell you she must have been strong because I get on my knees to wash mine and I have a hard time getting up, grin. I remember our first TV, black n white and a big floor model.
Aline