Saturday, April 11, 2009

Dominique Martin 's treasure

In 1938 there was a very bad storm near the home of Dominique Martin of Saint Louis Cape in New Brunswick. Can you imagine the waves washing on the shore and on the rocks? Well anyway, Dominique Martin was walking along the shore and he spotted something on the sand.
As he got closer he noticed a skelton all wrapped in fur and surrounded by bark of a tree. On the skelton was a leather caldron measuring 28 inches in diameter and 12 inches deep. Inside the caldron Dominique found many articles. There was another caldron a bit smaller measuring 7 inches in diameter ,thirteen ancient axes, a sword, a knife, a stileto,pot hooks, glass beads, and a few other articles not identified because of the rust. This discovery caused quite a stir among the villagers and attracted many visitors and local newspapers. They never identified the skelton.
I read this in the History of Saint Louis. I am certain there must be many stories like this one that has not been told, but can you imagine walking along the beach and something belonging to our lost ancestors wash up? Remember, there were many many tragedies at sea. The Duke William with all the Acadians on board, the Violet also among others. Somewhere under the oceans there may be some old time piece or old bowls or jewelry.
I always imagined going into the woods somewhere, where homesteads used to be, and finding an old abandoned home, and finding old photographs, or old dishes. It would be nice if we knew the exact spots where our ancestors lived and have permission to do a dig . I do know one of my ancestors Thomas Cormier lived in Beaubassin, and they have a dig going on there, if they find some carpentry ,could it have been his?
When I go to flea markets and I see an old photograph, I usually look to see if there is a name, just in case it would be an ancestor of mine. These are the treasures that are important to me, not the gold , nor silver, oh but mind you if I did find some I would not throw it away. grin.
But to me, keeping our ancestors memories alive anyway I can is what is most important.
When our ancestors were exiled, could they have buried some of their precious possessions?
Maybe one day someone will discover something else belonging to our ancestors.
But they won't find anything tonight and tomorrow because we are going to have some SNOW, grin. They are calling for 10 cm. of the white stuff. Out comes the boots and mittens and shovels, oh noooo! grin.
Thanks for the visit, do stop by again.
Have a great day
Aline

4 comments:

Shirley said...

I just came across your blog. It's fascinating! I love history too and have been looking at my family history for a few years now. I love the stories you're sharing and will be back to read more. I've set it so I can be alerted when you post new ones.

Shirleymac

alineskee said...

Hello Shirley, I am happy to hear that you like my blogs, I enjoy doing them and am always looking for new and interesting things I think my readers will enjoy.
Thank you for the message.
Happy Easter
Aline

Velda said...

Happy Easter Aline!

I'd love to find things from my ancestors altho I don't think I'm going to have much luck. My cousin has a ring from our great uncle and I tried it on and got shivers. It took me back to how he must have been proud to wear it etc. Much like your stories of the Acadians bring pictures to my mind of how they lived.

alineskee said...

Happy Easter Velda, from snowy NB,yep it snowed last night.
Thanks for sharing about the ring, I have a set of pie pans that my Mom had when she got married in 1933, they are made of Granite, I have used them and it was a good feeling using pie plates Mom had way before I was born.
Aline