Wednesday, October 22, 2008


Genealogy is about finding where you come from, who you are, who your ancestors were. Genealogists work very hard at finding their roots, they usually do not give up. If they hit a cement block they try and go around it. When they find a clue to their research, it is like hitting a jackpot. So what does the photo have to do with genealogy? Well these toys are for our Christmas Toy Drive and all of the gift certificates and donations are from someone interested in genealogy and their family tree so far. The gift cards and donations are still coming in and I have more toys to buy.
Now back to genealogy and christmas. Are you having a hard time deciding what to buy your siblings, or parents or friends for Christmas? Why don't you make them a little family tree book. Just do their main surnames and add photos if you have some and little stories about them if you have any. Last Christmas I made one for my ex sister in law, it was her mother's line. Her mother had just passed away, I added some photos of her Mom and siblings in the book. She cried when she seen the family tree book and she was so very happy. What about cousins ? Would they treasure a little family tree book from you? Do you have friends into genealogy? Again genealogy books would be a great gift. You can give them a book on census, or even a genealogy software, I use Legacy and I am very happy with it. You can access Legacy on my website www.acadian-roots.com it is located towards the bottom of my sidebar. I have just received a gedcom file from someone in Australia who connects into my line and I have inserted in into my legacy. I am talking about Christmas today because you still have time to create a little book, or even a photo album from the time they were little to today.
I love the Christmas Season and this year I am going to enjoy it because I and many others will know that because of us, some needy or sick little boys and girls will be happy even if it is just for a little while.
Still speaking of genealogy, yesterday we went and met a lady and her husband, she is into genealogy so we had lots in common. The men were chatting in another room. This lady showed me her books, she has a large variety of them, we share some same ancestors and we discussed where they lived in Cocagne. I really enjoyed our day. And we will be going there again. She loaned me an acadian CD, I will bring it back to her. She showed me her photo albums, well some of them, she has more, and I was so interested in looking at them, she has sent me some to add to my photo gallery also. And more to come.
For you P'tit Francois readers, the last two weeks the article didnt appear in the newspaper, hopefully next saturday there will be one.
Thank you for listening, and thanks for the visit.
Have a great day
Aline

3 comments:

Velda said...

Bonjour Aline!

I'm glad you had a lovely visit :) It's the best when you find someone who is interested in the same thing.

As for christmas, we have a very large family and instead of buying for each other (anyone over age 18) we are all donating money to be put together to give to a family in my mother in laws church. They are hard up and have many children. IT will be a wonderful christmas for them.

Velda

alineskee said...

Velda that is a great idea. I know a lady who has a group who gives something to the nursing homes. I also know someone who buys a gift for her neighbors and when all their lights are out, she sneaks and leaves a gift on their doorstep, they still to this day do not know where it comes from.grin.

alineskee said...

Velda that is a great idea. I know a lady who has a group who gives something to the nursing homes. I also know someone who buys a gift for her neighbors and when all their lights are out, she sneaks and leaves a gift on their doorstep, they still to this day do not know where it comes from.grin.