Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bouctouche New Brunswick is a very old parish. Many Acadians came from Memramcook to settle there. Among the first families were some ,Cormiers,LeBlancs, Allains,Collets,Girouards. Today if someone mentions Bouctouche, many think of La Sagouine . Many folks have never been to Bouctouche but have ancestors who did come from there. If you go to my website www.acadian-roots.com and click on Acadian Marriages, you will see I have added some marriages from Bouctouche in New Brunswick Canada. When you get there, you will see a photo at the top of the page. That used to be the old catholic church back in the late 1800s. That land once belonged to Jacques Cormier husband of Osite Pothier, and that area was also known as Pointe A Jacquot. The building on the left used to be a convent for young girls, today it has been converted to a museum. And if you follow that road today you will arrive at La Dune, and au Fond de la Baie.
My mother in law used to tell me that she used to go to Fond de la Baie and go to the DUNE by rowboat to get shellfish, barclams probably or quahawgs.
Before the Dune was made famous I remember going there with my late husband, there used to be a take out on the main road, we would get some fried clams and french fries and park our car near the water, watching the waves roll in and the seagulls over head, and people walking on the beautiful sand. It was a very relaxing atmosphere. In Bouctouche today there is a beautiful park built by Irvine I believe, right next to an old cemetery also on the same road. If you ever go to Bouctouche be sure to check out the park, the Dune, La Sagouine Show,and try out some good tasty Acadian meals. If you read my P'tit Francois stories you will notice he talks a lot about his home Au fond de la Baie. grin.
And be sure to check out my Bouctouche Marriages on my website, I have not added all the marriages but I have added quite a few of them.
Changing the subject, our toy drive is doing pretty well, a few days ago, I bought two white teddy bears, spiderman cars, a little tractor, another little doll, and an alphabet puzzle board with a gift card I received.
So now I will close by saying thank you for the lovely visit, and a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING to the ones who are celebrating.
Have a great day
Aline

4 comments:

Velda said...

Merci Beaucoup Aline!

Je suis une Arsenault! We are planning a trip to NS (and old Acadia areas) next summer -- The last time I was anywhere near there was going to Cape Breton to visit my granny in 1974. I'm very excited!

Happy Thanksgiving

Velda

alineskee said...

Hi Velda, we went to Cape Breton a few years ago, so very beautiful , we did the cabot trail and went to Cheticamps. Are you going to the CMA2009 next year? If you go to Nova Scotia be sure to go to Fort Beausejour and to the Beaubassin Dig. It is worth going.
Happy Thanksgiving
Aline

Velda said...

I'd love to go to CMA2009 That would be awesome. But I think our trip will be to see family I haven't seen since I was 9 and to visit all the places my ancestors have come from :) Those places are DEFINATELY on my list.

Happy Thanksgiving to you

alineskee said...

Velda where did your ancestors come from? Cape Breton or where in Nova Scotia?